So, you got yourself a fur buddy and are overwhelmed by all the cuteness and lovely cuddles. Your little furry bundle of joy is probably the best thing that has happened to you recently. But amidst all the excitement, are you forgetting something? Did you happen to smell something bad in your living room or did you find your pup hiding beneath the couch? If the answer is yes, it’s time for some puppy toilet training. Puppy toilet training should start as soon as your fur ball steps through the door. The sooner you train your dog, the easier it will be in the long run for both of you.
Puppy toilet training can be a lengthy and frustrating experience, particularly if you don’t have good guidance. You don’t have to be a professional dog trainer to train your puppy. However, if you do find yourself stuck or if your efforts are not leading to any results, you can ask for help from your neighbours on Adam Helps app.
The best way to toilet train a puppy:
- Keep an eye out for signals that your puppy needs to go out. The signals can be sniffing, circling, hiding, or wandering out of sight.
- Take your puppy outside after they have had something to eat, drink or have napped.
- Say “No” in a strict voice if you catch your puppy in the act and then take them outside so they can relieve themselves. This will make the puppy understand that they are not supposed to do smelly stuff inside.
- Use puppy training pads and keep them close to the outside door during the toilet training to teach them where they need to go to do their business. Puppy training pads make the cleanups very easy.
- Try taking your puppy to the same area each time they must pee or poo.
- Praise your pup when they use the pads successfully.
- Accidents will happen, but make sure to clean up immediately after to mask the smell and discourage a repeat.
Puppy toilet training takes a lot of patience and practice but with persistence your puppy will soon enough understand the difference between “Stop” and “Go”.
Don’t have as much time to dedicate to your puppy’s toilet training? Just ask for help from your neighbour on Adam Helps app to get your puppy some training.